Monday, August 23, 2010

Mamblues!

Clark Terry's first full length recording is a great example of early Hard Bop and early Clark. The lineup includes Horace Silver, Oscar Pettiford and Art Blakey... Not to mention Quincy Jones behind all the arrangements. Do yourself a favor and get this album!
I transcribed Clark's solo on Mamblues, a medium-up blues. I think Clark's blues playing can be heard in early Miles, kenny Dorham, Clifford Brown and everyone else who came after.


After a transcription a week for a month I can't stress enough how great transcription is! I can't believe I wasn't doing this years ago. My college degree in Jazz is great but transcription is teaching me far more about how to play jazz (school gave me a great understanding of jazz but I always fell short when it came to playing straight ahead Bop). Now I am learning vocabulary...

Moving on.... For next week:

No comments:

Post a Comment